Legend-WAITFORIT-ary!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Faith

Yesterday at work, as a man left the computer lab, he told us to have a nice weekend, and to not let anyone push us into believing that Easter was a big religious day. I kind of wanted to strangle him with a piano wire for trying to push us into believing that it WASN'T. Is that unChristian of me?

To be fair, easter didn't get its start as a Christian holiday. But I really don't think that jerk was planning on going home and worshiping the hare as a symbol of fertility, and dying eggs to represent new life.

But that IS still religious, isn't it? Just not Christian. Easter was a pagan holiday first. Paganists are not athiests. Generally they're polytheists, actually.

Easter was a pagan holiday on which fertility and new life was celebrated. Hence the bunny (for fertility) and the eggs (new life). "Eastre" was the goddess of spring. I suppose it's just as good a time to celebrate the resurrection.

Spell THAT five times and tell me if that still looks like it's spelled right.... resurrection. resurrection. resurrection. resurrection. resurrection.

I should probably mention that I do appreciate the resurrection... I do. I wish I could feel stronger about it. I don't get warm fuzzies when I remember how my God died for me. It's all I've ever known. Jesus died for you. Jesus died for you. Jesus died for you. You hear it enough, it becomes something that you take for granted.

Like if I were to become a millionair. You're rich! You're rich! You're rich! Eventually it's not all that special any more. I feel terrible saying that. Of course it's still special. But maybe I just don't feel it the way I once did. Does that make it mean any less?

I know the meaning of what my Christ did for me cannot be diminished. It will always hold its power. He will always hold up his side of the deal. But will my heart forget why it matters? And will that somehow make my end of the deal void? By taking Christ's death and resurrection for granted, can I lose him?

Also, First Easter without peeps. (think: gelatin. + vegan. = no go.) My world is imploding.

No comments:

Post a Comment